Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A community for radio controlled 1/8th scale offroad nitro enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
********FRIDAY SESSIONS resume every 3 - 6pm******** *** Transponders Now available at Speedhobbies at 250AED only. . .for track location click here
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» places to bash in january
battery - Battery Issues I_icon_minitimeby Mister-E Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:39 am

» July Amain order
battery - Battery Issues I_icon_minitimeby nitrorig Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:45 pm

» Mga Adik!!!!
battery - Battery Issues I_icon_minitimeby nitrorig Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:02 pm

» Newbie in Dubai
battery - Battery Issues I_icon_minitimeby richie Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:20 pm

» Track moist
battery - Battery Issues I_icon_minitimeby richie Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:19 pm

» JQ white edition
battery - Battery Issues I_icon_minitimeby allanelciario Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:04 pm

» assembling MBX 6TR
battery - Battery Issues I_icon_minitimeby nitrorig Mon May 12, 2014 10:06 pm

» Making your own nitro fuel
battery - Battery Issues I_icon_minitimeby Dr Dubai Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:43 pm

» Just Registered
battery - Battery Issues I_icon_minitimeby mike.lazaro Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:04 pm

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Battery Issues

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kittu

battery - Battery Issues Empty
PostSubject: Battery Issues   battery - Battery Issues I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi All,

I have a Savage Flux and normally use it with two 2S batteries. A while ago a got a good deal from a local hobby store on 3S batteries that are not in a hard case. I loved the performance and used them a few times on my quadcopter as well.

After they were not used for a couple of months, i checked the voltage and although the total voltage was ok, on checking the individual cells i found that one was 0.1v and the other two had over 5.5 volts each!

I would expect the battery to blow up if a cell voltage was over 4.2 volts but nothing has happened. I have kept the battery in a fireproof bag for safety and was going to open it up to check if there was some shorting somewhere. But dont know what to expect.

Has anyone experienced this before?
Back to top Go down
Medic RC

battery - Battery Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery Issues   battery - Battery Issues I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 9:58 pm

kittu wrote:
Hi All,

I have a Savage Flux and normally use it with two 2S batteries. A while ago a got a good deal from a local hobby store on 3S batteries that are not in a hard case. I loved the performance and used them a few times on my quadcopter as well.

After they were not used for a couple of months, i checked the voltage and although the total voltage was ok, on checking the individual cells i found that one was 0.1v and the other two had over 5.5 volts each!

I would expect the battery to blow up if a cell voltage was over 4.2 volts but nothing has happened. I have kept the battery in a fireproof bag for safety and was going to open it up to check if there was some shorting somewhere. But dont know what to expect.

Has anyone experienced this before?

IMO this can happen to anyone and to any type of battery. There are a couple of reasons I know that can cause such a situation to occur.
1. Battery failure - it just happens. It may be due to manufacturing defect or may also have something to do with the brand and the cost. I can't really say that more expensive batteries are better than the cheaper ones but there's always this thing they call "it comes with the name". I've been using cheaper batteries and so far very happy with it.
2. Non-use of battery balancers - balancers will help you charge and discharge batteries the most effective way. Knowing the fact that you are into electric cars, this shouldn't be a problem.
3. Draining the battery down to the bottom - careful with this one. It can damage a battery very easily. Some chargers won't even recharge the LiPo pack if it is way too low its allowable low voltage current. Once you recharge them, usually battery life is already in question.
4. Storing them without proper balance charging - an alarm signalling full charging may fool you. Make sure that you balance charge your packs to full capacity before storing them. That way, you are sure that your packs can stay charged for months.

Best thing to do, get yourself some reserved packs. I always stock up on almost all parts that I know breaks often, even batteries. I for one, don't allow anything that can stop me from enjoying this seemingly expensive, yet very enjoyable hobby.

Cheers. Smile
Back to top Go down

Battery Issues
Page 1 of 1